This simple lemon cake recipe from Sally is a go-to crowd-pleaser, perfect for family picnics or summer barbecues. For a seasonal twist that packs quite a punch, try mixing in a punnet of fresh blueberries or raspberries before baking. Sally – hbh collective
- 125g butter
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 180g self-rising flour
- A pinch of baking powder
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup milk, or as needed
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- Grease and line a cake tin or loaf pan. Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Combine flour, baking powder and lemon zest.
- In another bowl beat together the butter and caster sugar, then mix in the eggs and vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture a little at a time, alternating with portions of the milk until combined.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- While baking, make a syrup by combining icing sugar and lemon juice in a pan on low heat.
- When the cake comes out of the oven, make several pricks on the top with a fine skewer and pour the syrup over the top. Leave it to cool in the tin for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack. Glaze with icing or dust with icing sugar.